Tri Achmad Budi Susilo(1*)
(*) Corresponding Author
DOI : 10.36706/jp.v8i1.14054


The focus of this study was to determine the effect of peer group variables and the use of social media on student consumptive behavior at SMPN 1 Sidoarjo. The type of research chosen is explanatory or explanatory research. The selected population coverage is 9 classes containing 297 students. The sampling method used was random or simple random sampling. The total sample selected was 30 students with the data collection step using a questionnaire. The questionnaire was then tested for validity, reliability, and residual normality. After the questionnaire passes the test, then the hypothesis test and statistical data analysis test is carried out. The results of the hypothesis test explain that there is an effect produced by peer group variables and the use of social media on students' consumptive behavior separately (partially) or simultaneously (simultaneously), while the results of the multiple coefficient of determination are known from the value of R Square (R2) of 0.826 or 82.6% (if a percentage) and the remaining 17.4% comes from other variables outside the study. If the peer group variable has a one-unit increase, the consumptive behavior variable will increase by 0.650. If the variable use of social media has increased by one unit, the consumer behavior variable has increased by 0.400 based on the results of multiple regression analysis.


Peer Group, Using Social Media, and Student Consumptive Behavior


Amaliya, L & Setiaji, K. 2017. Pengaruh Penggunaan Media Sosial Instagram, Teman Sebaya dan Status Sosial Ekonomi Orangtua Terhadap Perilaku Konsumtif Siswa (Studi Kasus Pada Siswa Kelas XI SMA Negeri 1 Semarang). EEAJ 6 (3). Fakultas Ekonomi : Universitas Negeri Semarang.

Aziz, Muhammad Faris Abdil. 2020. Pengaruh Status Sosial Ekonomi Orang Tua, Kelompok Teman Sebaya dan Penggunaan Media Sosial terhadap Perilaku Konsumtif Siswa SMPN 1 Sidoarjo. Pascasarjana : Universitas Negeri Surabaya.

Bungin, B. 2001. Metodologi Penelitian Sosial : Format-Format Kuantitatif dan Kualitatif. Surabaya : Airlangga University Press.

Eszter. 2008. The Role of Reference Group Influence in Consumer Behaviour. Theses of Doctoral Dissertation. Doctoral School of Social Sciences : Széchenyi István University Multidisciplinary.

Kataria. 2017. Tween Consumers : A Study Of The Impact Of Social Media On Tweens Buying Decisions. International Journal of Marketing and Financial Management, Vol 5, Issue 1, January 2017, pp 01-11 ISSN: 2348 –3954 (Online) ISSN: 2349 –2546

Khan (2016). Peer Influence on Young Adults Products Purchase Decisions. Business and Economic Review: Vol. 8, Special Edition : 2016 pp. 83-92

Kotler, Philip. 2002. Manajemen Pemasaran : Edisi Milenium Jilid 2. Jakarta : PT. Prenhallindos

Kyriakopoulou dan Kitsios. 2017. The influence of social media on consumers behavior. Proceedings of Sixth International Symposium and Twentyeight National Conference on Operational Research, pp. 62-66. Greece : Thessaloniki.

Malhotra, 2010. Marketing Research : An Applied Orientation (6th Edition). New Jersey : Pearson Prentice Hall.

Miller, R. LeRoy & Stafford, A.D. 2010. Economic Education for consumers (4e). USA : South-Western Cengage Learning.

Nuroini, 2017. Pengaruh Status Sosial Ekonomi Orang Tua, Literasi Ekonomi, dan Gaya Hidup terhadap Perilaku Konsumsi Siswa Madrasah Aliyah di Kota Malang. Pascasarjana Prodi Pendidikan Ekonomi : Universitas Negeri Surabaya.

Prayitno, D. 2010. Paham Analisa Data Statistik Dengan SPSS. Yogyakarta : Penerbit MediaKom.

Soeharno. 2009. Teori Ekonomi Mikro. Yogyakarta : Penerbit Andi.

Sugiyono, 2016. Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif dan R&D. Bandung : Alfabeta.

Article Statistic

Abstract view : 230 times
PDF (Bahasa Indonesia) views : 118 times

The PDF file you selected should load here if your Web browser has a PDF reader plug-in installed (for example, a recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader).

If you would like more information about how to print, save, and work with PDFs, Highwire Press provides a helpful Frequently Asked Questions about PDFs.

Alternatively, you can download the PDF file directly to your computer, from where it can be opened using a PDF reader. To download the PDF, click the Download link above.

Fullscreen Fullscreen Off

Full Text: PDF (Bahasa Indonesia)

How To Cite This :


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2021 Tri Achmad Budi Susilo

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.